Monday, 3 June 2013

MISSION OBJECTIVE



Going around normal wargames shows as a trader, I get a lot of people talking to me about how they get looked down upon by historical gamers as they play science-fiction.
Comments like; "oh make you play make believe" and "pretend" and "not real wargaming" are often quoted.
This I find a little sad to be honest, a game is a game.
The aim of the game is to have fun, however that works for you.
It got me thinking...

My aim then is put on a show which is only sci-fi.
That way, those fellow gamers that find sci-fi somehow offensive can easily avoid it.
But for those of us that revel in pretend and make believe and making pew-pew noises as we shoot each other, we can enjoy it as one.

It is a show where all scales and all sub genres will be given a chance to shine.
It is not a show that is anti-historical gaming , it is just pro sci-fi gaming.
It is about the coolest figures and the coolest films and all the cool stuff that is sci-fi, it is blast-tastic!


It will be in Bristol on the 4th of October 2014.
This gives me (and you) plenty of time to get games ready, drum up support and spread the word.



The venue is Filton Community Centre.


Their website is not the best, but it is not about them, it is about us and our sci-fi lovelies.

I have initially hired their largest room.
However if interest is such that I run out of space I can simply hire some of their other rooms.

The Mall is nearby and Bristol city centre is only a short drive away.
KFC, Subway and McDonalds are all very close as is Sainsbury’s and a few pubs.

Details

The show will be open to the public from 10:00 until 16:00
£2.00 entry for over 18's, free for under 18's.

(Trade/gamers can access from 08:00, no access the night before I am afraid though)

6 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Well done mate a great idea.....now if I am home what could I bring up and play?

    Dystopian Wars is all good to go but by hat time I will have a FWC/Slammerverse 6mm army ready.......

    Is 15mm mass fantasy battle pushing it too far, no lasers or mechs there LOL

    As for traders, have you approached Troll Trader in Newquay? Louis like a show,,,,,

    I look forward to developments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael

    Im keen :)

    Ill be thinking on a KR 16 scenario and the option to buy some starter packs etc.

    cheers
    Keith
    ArmiesArmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great idea, but 16 months is a very long time to keep momentum and interest up.

    Still I would like to support it if I can. Who knows - I might even be able to put a game on (though don't hold your breath)

    What sort of games do you expect to be put on? Is it the traditional demo plus fairly short participation games? It might be an opportunity to try more US style convention games where people can sign up to play a 2 -3 hour game.

    Good luck with the venture

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I can not attend, I hope there will be a dedicated effort to photograph the event, blog about it, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks.
    I am not keen to try the US style approach to registration.
    I will stick with the tried and tested, turn up and play method, seems to work well.

    The response has been excellent, so much so I have had to start taking money now so that the people that are properly proerly serious don't miss out!

    I may need to hire more rooms..


    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added a post.
      http://dgditch.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/just-like-to-mention-new-wargames-show.html

      Delete